We all know how tough it is to get your foot on that all-important first rung of the property ownership ladder and that invariably means a small kitchen. When space is limited, your kitchen layout must make the best use of almost all available footage and the best people to talk to when it comes to kitchen design are the professionals.
Here are a few tips to ensure that your kitchen revamp ends well.
- Bespoke Shelving and Storage – This makes good use of the recesses and corners and the in-house joiner would create ideal storage that is built into the room, so to speak. Even short shelving helps and a carpenter can easily create built-in shelving and storage units that make use of otherwise empty space.
- Approach an Award-Winning Kitchen Designer – A professional interior designer looks upon every project as a new challenge and there’s no reason why you shouldn’t have your kitchen space laid out by a kitchen designer. There are specific small kitchen design strategies and the designer would tailor the layout to suit your lifestyle, while making best use of every square foot.
- Think Minimalist – A simple design works very well in small spaces and the slick lines would add a dimension; use Google Images and search for ‘minimalist kitchens’, which will bring you an endless list of images and when you find a look that you think works, send this to the kitchen designer.
- Start with Essentials – As this is your first home, start out with the bare necessities, which can always be added to at a later date; now is not the time for luxury add-ons, at least not for the first few years. The only thing not to cut back on is quality appliances and the kitchen renovation company can get trade prices on all the top brand names.
- Wall Kitchen Units – If you have your cabinets on the wall, that frees up a lot of floor space and with a professional installation, the wall units can even be a little narrower than usual, to gain a few centimetres. Custom made cabinets is one way of creating a more spacious look and the renovator would take this into account, as they have years of hands-on experience working with small spaces.
Unless you happen to be an accomplished DIY-er, you are advised to seek out the help of an award-winning kitchen renovation company, who can handle every aspect of the project, from initial design to final inspection.